Thursday, January 22, 2015

Hornady GS-1500 Scale

Hello Everyone.


Item for Review.

Today are product review as you can tell from the blog title will be the Hornady GS-1500 scale. I purchased this from a local store that I get my reloading components at. The reason behind this purchase was the size, I wanted a scale that was portable and compact just in case I needed to do some reloading in the field Whistle pig shooting or just at a range working up some loads.

Basic features.

The scale has a weight capacity of 100g, with graduation or 0.005g. Unit comes inside a nice cardboard box with a magnetic locking flap. The box has a felt lined area that hold the scale itself along with the pan and check weight. Check weight is 100g. Instructions are include and cover topics as Before use, Operation, Weighing, Calibration, Performance tips and troubleshooting. Uses two(2) AAA Battery's.





Scale, Pan and check weight in box




                 Scale cover open and items out of box







Product Review.

This unit comes with 2 AAA battery's include which is a plus, unless your like me and replace them with a quality battery from a known source(Duracell,Energizer,ETC.) Haven't tested different brands of battery's to see if they make a difference in accuracy.

Temperature seems to come into play for accuracy from what I've seen with this scale, it doesn't like when the temperature in the garage at my reloading bench is under 40F, neither do I. Wind and drafts will make the scale drift a little.

After being in a warm place and on a level surface, I perform the calibration of the scale as per instruction manual. I always weigh the check weight after the calibration to make sure it reads 100g and 0g when empty. After that I set powder pan on scale and press tare to zero out display.
I'm probably over doing it, but before each an every powder throw I am going to measure, I tare the pan then put the check weight in and check for a total of 100g, just to be on the safe side.

I really like the blue backlit display, really easy to read at most angles. Three button operation which is simple. In the manual it states this scale is not for trickling powder, I may try it just to see what happens, but that will be at a later date. I will add on to this post with results.

All in all this is a well built little scale, could be used on or off the reloading bench.  So far I have weighed bullets and powder with this scale, while using the tare button before each weigh.

Well this concludes the review for today, please feel free to comment on this product, if I may have missed something or just to leave some more helpful info for other readers.

Thanks for reading,
Rex









No comments:

Post a Comment