Sunday, January 31, 2016

Building/Revamping A Stock On A Budget



Hello Everyone,

In this post I take a flimsy stock off of a Savage Model 12FV Pre-Accutrigger and make it a little sturdier, a little heavier and a better color. I will go step by step on the process of what I did from start to finish with pictures.

Here is the basic materials list for the build.
  1. Two 1oz tubes of epoxy From my local Harbor Freight $7
  2. One Can of Rust-oleum Textured Paint, Sand Stone Color $6
  3. Couple pounds of sand from my local sand dune $0
  4. Project Foam remnants $0
  5. Piece of 180 grit Sand Paper $0 
Most of the items I had laying around already, so the total cost for my stock was around $13.

Rifle Before Modification

Nothing special just a Savage Arms Model 12FV chambered in .223. The only thing I don't like is how flimsy the stock is at the point where the bi-pod attaches. It is all hollowed out with just a skeleton supporting the sides.





Stripping It Down


  • Photo to the left is the stock stripped down
  • Photo above is the skeleton support around the forend






Making The Forend Stronger With Epoxy

  •  Photo to the right is the two tubes of epoxy mixed and applied into the forend skeleton.
  • Filled up to the bottom of the barrel channel, allows a full floated barrel still.
  • I dammed off the area around the nut for the front swivel so the epoxy will not interfere with nut.
  • Made sure I kept the epoxy out of the area for the action and recoil lug.









Adding Some Weight

 

 

  • Top Left, Hollowed out stock, was filled with foam.
  • Top Center, Foam Template for plugging end to keep sand in.
  • Top Right, Stock filled with sand.
  • Bottom Center, Filled with sand, plugged and glued.

Prepping For Paint

I sanded down all the rough spots, cleaned up the epoxy residue and masking taped the holes.

 Painting

Put about four light coats on, then did some touch up around the trigger an action area.

And The Final Product



 Reassembled the rifle, checked the barrel with a dollar bill to make sure it was still free floated an nothing protruding hitting the barrel and made sure the action was not binding in anyway an torqued properly.





That is all for now, I might update with some more information later on if it has improved the accuracy of the rifle.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, hope this helps you if you need to budget build or revamp a stock.

Rex

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a good job and upgrade done! Congrats on the great narrative and explanation!

    ReplyDelete