Saturday, January 2, 2016

Review Of Sierra 22 Cal. 69Gr HPBT Match Bullets. 01/02/2016




Hello Everyone,

Post Overview

Recently I have been interested in stretching my target shooting out a little farther than the 100 yard line either in the prone or bench position. I have been contemplating on buying a new rifle for the purpose or just re-purposing another. I'm wanting to do the NRA 300/600 yard prone matches at my local range, so I figured I would go with a bolt action 22 caliber centerfire with a heavy bullet. I had three option to go with, one had to slow of a twist to stabilize a heavy bullet(22-250), one is to sentimental to me to do any modifications(222) and low and be hold my hidden jewel, my Savage Arms Model 12 FV(I believe) pre-accutrigger, I figured it had a slow twist rate for the lighter varmint bullets, just for the heck of it I checked the twist rate multiple times each time it came out 1in 9" SCORE!! I can shoot heavier bullets. So I am going to build off of that for now and develop some loads for it.

Review Information

This review will be continued in the future as my information comes in. As I am writing this I have a few loads worked up and I will be trying them out tomorrow and reporting the information back on here of what I find. I working on load development for the above mentioned rifle, I wanted a heavy bullet out of my 223 that would work with my twist rate and reach above the 2800 FPS speed without having a max powder charge creeping up on the max CUP pressures. So I am starting my loads with the Sierra 22 Cal 69 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail(HPBT) Match, P/N 1380, Recommended twist rate 1 in 7-10".

Ok, to the bullets, Right out of the box I really like the size of the load information stickers they give you, always a plus when you can actually right on them. There are 100 bullets in the box, no more no less. I have randomly been weighing them to see how much they differ, so far it hasn't been over .001 grains on my scale. No defects of any kind and they are all shiny and bright.

So for the loads, I am starting first with the Hodgdon Benchmark Powder, as per there reloading data I went for a mid range charge at 22.5 grains, which should put me around 2850 FPS. Second will be IMR 4895, with a charge of 24 grains, which should be over 2868 FPS. Third and final will be the Accurate Powders 2015, with a charge of 21 grains, this is going to be about 2600 FPS, just to see how my results differ from the higher FPS.

All load data was found at these websites: IMR/Hodgdon and Accurate Powders

All Loads mentioned above are for information only not to be used unless researched for your firearms, please use all information available when hand loading ammunition, Manufactures Manual and websites, If you are unsure about your firearm contact the manufactures.

That will complete everything I have as of 01/02/2016
Thanks for Reading, Rex.

Range Report 01/03/2016

Hello all, here is how the loads look on paper. Weather conditions at the range are: 21F Degrees, Light Snow, less than 5 MPH head wind, did I mention cold.

Smallest groups are the Accurate 2015, Followed by the Hodgdon Benchmark and lastly the IMR 4895. All are very close, I want to see what the difference is when the temperature warms up. Below are the images of all the targets shot today.


Hodgdon Benchmark
















IMR 4895







1 comment: