Sunday, March 8, 2015

Hodgdon Benchmark Powder

Good day all,

This weeks product review will be on Hodgdons Benchmark powder.
I purchased this powder from the local shop here in town, been wanting to try it out but was actually wanting the IMR 8028XBR, local shop had the IMR the past few weeks but when I actually go and get it they didn't have any, just my luck so I got the Benchmark.

Benchmark is on the Hodgdons burn rate list at #80, IMR 8208XBR is at #85.

Here is a link to the Hodgdon burn rate list so you can check it out:   *****Burn Rate Link*****

For the calibers I worked loads up for where my .222 and .243.

****ALWAYS STAY BELOW MAXIMUM LOAD IN ANY RELOADING DATA YOU FIND****
****ALWAYS THINK SAFETY WHEN RELOADING****

The data I found for my work up loads was on the Hodgdon website, do not use my load data, always research and use your own for safety reasons. Hodgdon reloading Link:  **Reloading data Link**

For the .222 with a Hornady 53 grain HPBT I started at 21.5grs-22.0grs-22.5grs. My grouping got tighter an tighter with the larger charges. Best group was with 22.5grs, so with that I will go a tenth of a grain either way from their to see if I can improve accuracy.

For the .243 with a Sierra 60 grain HP I started at 38.5grs-39.0grs-39.5grs-40.0grs. Same as the .222 the tighter groups where the larger two of the four loads on this load work up. I had three touching with the 39.5 grains load and four touching with the 40.0 grains load, I know I pulled the one that didn't touch. This load I might try some loads between 39.5 and 40.0 grains. The rifle seemed to like those two loads.

For the reloading part, the powder is a short cut cylindrical powder and flows quite nicely through my RCBS Uniflow powder measure. It flows good into the case as well and is well away from a compressed load. The color of the powder is slightly greyer than the normal black powder.

After the testing my loads at the range and returning home to clean my barrels, I noticed there was minimal fouling down the bore, maybe a few little pieces and barely made the patch dirty. 

All in all this is a nice powder to work with and shoot.

Thanks again for reading and checking out this weeks product review, and feel free to comment or ask questions.

Rex

2 comments:

  1. I'm using this on my Sako .222,Savage .223,Rem700 22-250 and Mauser .243.
    Trying to see if I can work up loads on each one and get one powder for use in all calibers with good accuracy.

    ReplyDelete