Saturday, July 25, 2015

Match Preparation

Hello all,

What do you do for match preparation? To be more precise, at home preparation.

Today I would like to talk about match preparation and more importantly, shooting position preparations. I know everyone gets there ammo, gun, etc., etc., ready, but what about your shooting position for your style of matches.

I shoot mostly prone in the matches I am involved in. The night before the match after I get all my goodies, range bag and accessories put together, I like to get the firearm I will be using out and get in the prone position on the floor with the scope cranked way down. From there I like to focus on a spot on the wall with my prone position closest to what I think I will be at when at the range. I just hold there and keep as steady as I can, I try different breathing techniques to see what the steadiest is for me, body position to see what is steadiest and rear rest position. I like to hold my position for a few minutes and study each one and find the best.

Dry firing. I don't do it, I like to just squeeze the trigger of a uncocked firearm, I know that I don't get the feel of the trigger letting loose and sending the firing pin towards the cartridge, to me it helps me know and control my trigger a little better and then when I am at the range I fire live ammo an pick up on the trigger control where I left off before. Probably only helps me in my mind.

So off of the firearms and onto the accessories. I pack everything the night before and have it ready. I like to group my ammo up if I know how many shots are in the match, keeps me a little more organized an prepared, especially if it's a timed match.

What are some things you like to do? Feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment