Friday, December 23, 2016

22-250 range day report

Hello Everyone,

It's been over three months since I have posted on here, work has been a little hectic with more work load added due to some restructuring within the company and my children's extracurricular activities take up some of my extra time as well but for good reason.

I have had two RSO days at the range this year with my third and final one sometime in January. I always enjoy my days RSOing at the range, mostly due to people bringing out there new fancy guns and I get to see how they do without buying them! I also like seeing the different varieties of firearms brought out by the many people who visit the range, anything from AK-47s to high end Sako target rifles.

The first range day I had the night before I decided to bring out the Remington 700 in 22-250, so I loaded up some 55 grain Hornady V-max's that night, to try out for the upcoming 3rd annual sage rat shoot in Central Oregon. After the range closed for the general public, I pulled out the 22-250 to see how she was doing since I haven't shot her for quite a few years. For my starting load with the V-max's my groups at a hundred yards averaged less than one inch, which I was happy with for just starting load development with these bullets.

I have been pretty lax on reloading during these past couple of months due to the below freezing temps and my reloading room in the garage, which is always close to the temps outside. I was using CCI BR primers, and AA 2015 behind the 55 grain Hornady V-max. I am going to adjust my powder charge a little hoping to tighten the group up a little, also change seating depth a little bit to get me off the lands the proper amount. Hopefully with this combo the groups will tighten up and will be deadly against the sage rats farther out in the fields.

I have not tried any other brands of tipped ammo for varmints yet, my family and I have been using Hornady V-max's for a long time against varmints and I don't plan on changing anytime soon. With that note I have great interest in the Hornady's new ELD match tipped bullets, I have read quite a bit about them in the publications I subscribe to. I think the tips on these will revolutionize the tipped bullet market. Many times have I thought about what the tips do during flight, and now Hornady has proved they are degrading during high speed flight. I have noticed that some V-max's that I had the tip got damaged during storage or in the field still fly very accurate for being deformed.

I was very happy with the results of pulling the 22-250 out of the cobwebs and shooting it. I am very impressed with the bullet drop within 400 yards, I forgot how great the 22-250 was for varmint shooting, I have been neglecting the 22-250 for a few years by only shooting the 223's. It sure is a great all around shooter and you will be hearing more about it in the near future.

The Remington 700 I purchased probably around 2006 from a local store, the main reason for buying was the varmint taper barrel and the HS-Precision black with grey spiderweb stock. Which I will probably never change cause it's awesome. I have tuned the trigger a little to bring down the trigger pull. Next item I may change will be a picatinny rail and 6-24x scope instead of the 4-12x currently on it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, hopefully I can push some more out sooner.
Rex

Mentioned product websites

No comments:

Post a Comment